Sunday, November 14, 2010

Day 35 - This Great Country

One of my favorite things about afternoon church is that I can watch Music and the Spoken word on Sunday mornings. This morning's program was a tribute to all of the men and women who are fighting or who have fought to defend our freedom or the freedoms of others. Having witnessed this sacrifice, first hand, I started thinking about why they do what they do.

Right after September 11th my brother joined the army and it wasn't too long after that my brother-in-law did as well. Their military careers took them in different directions, but I believe they did what they did for the same reason - they love this country.

We seem to be bombarded with commentary about what's wrong with America. Decisions are made based on what is politically correct, not on what the majority wants. While we profess to be more tolerant than in years past, sometimes our actions would indicate otherwise. However, this morning I started thinking about the reasons I love being a part of this country.

I appreciate the fact that I am relatively safe. I don't have to have bars on my windows and doors and there are not police officers with machine guns standing on corners, like there were in Chile when I was there.

I can go to church every Sunday and worship the way that I want. I have the freedom to discuss my religious views without fear.

I don't have to be secretive in my actions or hide to listen to the radio or watch television. I can use the internet when I want and don't worry that the government will choose the websites I can visit.

I can have as many children as I'd like, live where I want to, and work in whatever profession I choose. I don't have to cover my face when I'm in public, unless I choose to, and my conversations are not restricted.

I can visit beautiful places - and there are many here, visit whomever I'd like, and travel in a variety of different ways. I take for granted that I have heat, water, and electricity in my home and I don't worry that those things will be turned off for an extended period of time.

I am proud to be a part of this country and am thankful for all the freedoms I enjoy.

No comments: