Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day 23 - My Grandma

Today, right before noon, my Grandma Keddington passed away. The last few days I've been thinking of my earliest memories with Grandma. I thought she had the most beautiful house I'd ever seen. I loved to look at all her dolls and her pictures.

I remember as a little girl spending Christmas Eve at her house and then going back for breakfast the next morning. I loved to see all my cousins, looked forward to sitting on Santa's lap, and loved the meal that Grandma would cook. We would watch the Wizard of Oz in the basement, waiting for Santa, and we would wait to hear the jingle bells.

I'm not sure how old I was when she started taking us to the Nutcracker. We did it every year for a long time. I felt so grown up when I was there.

When I was eight years old, right before I got baptized, she took me shopping - just me. She bought me a beautiful dress, which I still have in the cedar chest that she gave me when I turned 16, some shiny black shoes and some new tights. I felt like a princess.

When I was 12 I got to go to Hawaii with her, my aunts and cousins, and my mom. It was just the girls and it was such a memorable trip. It was the first time I'd been on an airplane or had been to the beach. I loved it.

I remember her trips to Europe. She would make sure to send each one of us a postcard telling about her adventures. I really looked forward to these.

Grandma lived a long and full life. She served and loved. She took care of people.

I love you, Grandma, I'm thankful for you, and I'll miss you!

1 comment:

Mama Walker said...

So sad to hear of this loss in your sweet family. I enjoy reading your blog