Sunday, November 7, 2010

Day 28 - My Parents

Our lesson in Relief Society today was on being good mothers. There have been times in my life when it was almost unbearable to sit through one of those lessons. Other than making it back Home, there is nothing I want more than to be married and have a family. Not one thing. However, growing up a bit and realizing that I will at some point have that blessing usually makes those lessons enjoyable.

Today, however, I left after class with a lot of questions. After thinking about it for a while, I called my parents and my dad answered the phone. We had a great conversation, he put some things into perspective, and I felt better.

I am so thankful for good parents, for wise parents, and for parents who love me unconditionally. There have been several times in my life when hard things have happened when I just wanted to go home and talk to my mom and dad. I knew that sitting on the couch next to my mom I could cry and she would put her arm around me and stroke my head. Sometimes she would cry with me and she always has an opinion on how to fix everything.

My dad is a great listener. He rarely tells you what to do, but asks questions until you figure it out. He used to do that when he'd help me with math problems and it would drive me crazy! I just wanted the answer! But, asking me questions and letting me talk things out has been so helpful.

From them, my testimony began to grow. From them, I began to understand who I am. From them, I began to realize just how much my Father loves me.

I am so thankful to be their daughter!

No comments: