Monday, October 25, 2010

Day Sixteen - Electricity

This may seem like a silly thing to be thankful for. Of course I'm grateful for electricity. But here's why, today, I am thankful for it.

I didn't sleep last night. Not one bit. So at 2 am I decided I should just get up and work on my final paper that was due today. The wind was blowing like crazy and at 2:07 there was a very loud blast outside my house. It scared me to death and the power went out. I stayed in bed until 4, hoping the power would come back on, then got up and went into work.

Last night before bed I read President Monson's talk from this last conference. He told a story about a family who had used their savings to have electricity set up in their house. That year all of their crops died. For Thanksgiving dinner they had a rabbit and some turnips. No one was feeling very thankful. The dad turned off the lights and lit an oil lamp. The family was shocked that they were ever able to read by such a dim light. Suddenly they were filled with gratitude for what they had.

I do that. I don't realize just how blessed I am. Sometimes it takes turning off the lights for me to wake up. Sometimes it takes looking back at where I've been to realize just how far I've come.

No comments: