Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Day Eighteen - My Job

Today I'm thankful for my job. Really thankful.

Six years ago I was working for a different company. I was working 6 days a week, seven that last year at Christmas time, and I was easily putting in 14 or 15 hours a day. I did almost nothing except work.

I had been at this job for 9 years. When they announced that they would be open on Sunday, I knew that I couldn't stay. Fortunately, the next day a flier was given to me about a new job.

I was reading in my journal the other night about my experiences while applying and interviewing for this job. Everything fell into place and I knew that taking that job was the right thing - an absolutely necessary thing.

In this job I have worked with some absolutely incredible people who have influenced my life in ways that are hard to describe. They have seen me at my best and my worst. We have laughed and cried. We've played and worked our tails off. We've bagged a million rolls and sold countless books. We've put out fires and been robbed at gunpoint. We've gone sailing at Tahoe, repelling at Red Fish, and climbed to the top of Angel's Landing.

This job has given me the necessary time to finally finish school, something I've always regretted not doing. February 21st will be my last final!!! It's given me the resources (people, not just books) to be better in my church callings. I've taken necessary vacations to help family members, something that would not have happened with my last job. So many things in my life are better as a result of this job.

Realizing these things has caused me to feel some remorse because of the attitude I've had about my job sometimes. I feel bad for times when my attitude has caused others to not feel appreciated or a valuable part of my team and for that, I am sorry.

At the same time, realizing these things has been yet another reminder of how there is One who is in charge. He knows exactly what we need, even when we don't. He knew how badly I needed to make changes in my life and He knew that this job would provide me with opportunities to make those changes.

So, thank you to all of you who suffered through my worst and put up with me. Thanks to you who made me laugh - who still make me laugh. You have each blessed my life and continue to do so, just like this job.

3 comments:

Mike and Mindy Williams said...

Good jobs are few and far between--I count my blessings that I got the chance to work with YOU!

Meghann said...

I somehow happened upon your blog, and just want to say your amazing, and that I enjoyed working with you. You are a great manager. Good luck with fourth quarter!

Christy said...

Thanks, Mindy and Meghann. You're both fantastic!