Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Honesty - Part II

I suppose I need to clarify some things about the post I did on Sunday about honesty. First of all, I didn't say everything I should have in that short post. Honesty is not the most important characteristic in a future spouse. There are many things I could list. I was having a casual conversation with a man I didn't know and didn't feel it necessary to give him a complete list. Honesty, I thought, was a safe topic, and the intent of my post was to share my amazement at what he considered to be honest or dishonest.

I know it's unrealistic and impractical to expect perfection. We all make mistakes. I'm especially good at them. Part of the reason we're here is to learn and grow and make it back home. But, is it wrong of me to hope that my future spouse would be honest and upfront with me? And, when he's not, that he apologize and we move on?

All I want is a good man, who tries hard to do the best that he can. When he slips and falls, he gets back up, shakes himself off, and continues down the path. Because that's what I try to do.

2 comments:

ashycam said...

Sounds like you know what you want and there is nothing wrong with that. You should be able to trust that your eternal companion would honest with you. I agree with you whole heartedly.

Anonymous said...

This statement by James E. Faust says it all.

"Honesty is a principle, and we have our moral agency to determine how we will apply this principle. We have the agency to make choices, but ultimately we will be accountable for each choice we make. We may deceive others, but there is One we will never deceive. From the Book of Mormon we learn, “The keeper of the gate is the Holy One of Israel; and he employeth no servant there; and there is none other way save it be by the gate; for he cannot be deceived, for the Lord God is his name.”

You have every right to expect honesty from a companion. Don't settle for less.
Mom