Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Reunion

I am fantastically tired this evening but I couldn't go to bed without telling someone about the evening I had. Since it's so late, no one's up for me to tell, so this will have to do.

I went to a concert tonight at the high school I attended. The program was to honor one who has influenced thousands as a music teacher. A man who now finds himself at the ripe old age of 50 in a position of not knowing if he will live to see his son return home from a mission.

The experience was incredible! The auditorium was hotter than Hades since the air conditioning had gone out earlier in the week (someone mentioned that it actually went out in 1989). I saw people I hadn't seen in 12 to 15 years -people who were such an important part of my life and whom I dearly loved - My best friend, Nicole, Adam and Miriam Eskelson, and too many others to mention.

Memories came flooding back as we looked at pictures that still hang in the hall of our production of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. We walked in the choir room and that old black grand piano is still there. I sat at that piano so many times. We reminisced about where our seats were, songs we'd sung, and the first time we were actually in that room. It felt like we'd gone back in time.

We all laughed and hugged and spent time catching up. Tears were shed as we stood and applauded the man we had come together to honor.

I learned something important tonight. Those who love us, truly love us, don't care about how many kids we have, if we're single or married, how we look, or what we do for a living. They just love us. And they will always love us.

1 comment:

A day in life of the Pritchetts said...

Amen. I couldn't have said it better. I loved seeing you last night. And I have been filled with such nostalgia all day today. As well as a sense of needing to really appreciate what I have, right here and now. I need to act as if the people in my life may only be around for another month or two, and truly savor each moment with them. I'm so glad you came, I had such fun catching up. And I apologize for the blog stalking. I found your blog on happen stance a few away from my sister's, and I was so glad to find it. I will post the pictures from the tribute very soon on my blog. Take care, Miriam