Saturday, June 21, 2008

O Sleep Why Dost Thou Leave Me


In Handel's opera Semele, there is an aria entitled "O Sleep Why Dost Thou Leave Me". While it's true that it's sung by one who would like to stay asleep in order to continue dreaming, the title always comes to mind after a night of no sleep, or several nights as has been the case.

There was a point in my life when 8 hours of sleep was a necessity. I could hardly function throughout the day if I had anything less. I would go to bed at 10 and be up by 6 every day. (That should give you some idea as to how thrilling my life was.)

Then Jaime and her kids moved in. I don't think any of us had 8 hours of sleep the whole time they were there, right Jaim? Suddenly it seemed I could do anything if I could just catch a couple of hours.

There does come a time, however, when a couple of hours won't cut it and you long for just one night of sleep. It could be said that I am there!

1 comment:

jalytaylor said...

It's kind of funny, but I'm at a point now when I need about 8-10 hours. Maybe it's because Spence is home now and he takes care of the kids a lot in the morning. Sorry you haven't been sleeping. Hopefully you'll get a day sometime to catch up. (MAYBE!!) Just for the record, I don't really get 8-10 hours every night. I just wish I did.