Monday, June 9, 2008

"My Little Dre"

I spent some time today with my sister Andrea. She and I are just over 10 years apart and I have always thought of her as "my little Dre".

We were pretty close growing up. We shared a bedroom from the time she was born until I went on my mission. When she was a baby and would cry at night, I would put her in bed with me. As a little girl, with her own bed, she somehow always ended up in mine.

Twelve days ago she had her first baby, Haden Michael. She was instantly transformed. While she hasn't slept since his arrival, she has become 100% devoted to this little man. There's nothing more important to her than the well being of her son. I've watched her talk to him, hold him, and care for him. Suddenly "my little Dre" is not so little anymore and I'm so proud of her.

A friend asked me once what the most rewarding thing in my life was. I replied that it was watching my siblings grow up, seeing them lead good lives, contributing in a positive way to society, and raising their families. Funny how something can be the most rewarding and the most painful.

No comments: