Sunday, June 8, 2008

Music


For as long as I can remember, music has been such a critical part of my life. Countless hours have been spent at the piano in times of frustration, loneliness, sorrow, joy, and peace because music has the ability to fit perfectly into any emotion. Not only that, it triggers so many memories.


There was the family vacation we took about 6 years ago. Dre had a CD of fun songs we listened to as we drove across the country. Those songs will always remind me of the first time I saw fireflies, the short cut through the state of Iowa that was most certainly not short, bunk beds in the mission home in Ohio, and the back seat of the Expedition.


Last year my sisters and I bought my mom tickets to the Michael Buble concert for her birthday. His songs will always bring back fond memories of a girls night out, more laughter than I'd had in ages, and being surrounded by crazy, starstruck, middle-aged women.


Every time I hear "Silent Night" I'm taken back to Christmas in 1989 when our high school Madrigal group was singing in the church administration building. The elevator doors opened and there was President Benson. I can't describe the feeling in the room, but it changed me. It changed a lot of us.


Finally, there are times, a lot of them lately, when through music I am reminded that I have a loving Father who is absolutely aware of me. The hymn How Firm a Foundation has many great verses that we don't typically sing. The forth is this: "When through the deep waters I call thee to go, The rivers of sorrow shall not thee o'erflow, For I will be with thee, thy trouble to bless, And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress." It's true! He is there, He knows, He cares and He sees. Music, for me, has played a key part in this understanding.

1 comment:

Matthew Hansen said...

Geesh. You thought you had nothing to say and you hit a homerun.