Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas!!!

Christmas seemed to come so quickly this year. This evening as I sit in my living room by the Christmas tree, I can't believe it's just about over. I'm not ready to take down the tree, pack up the decorations (all three of them), or put away the Christmas music.

But, this was a good Christmas. The season was not as stressful for me as it has been in the past. I did not nearly work the amount of extra hours that I usually do, and I actually did spend the night at my parents house on Christmas Eve, something I almost never do because I'm so very tired. However, I did go to bed at 10:00.

This morning I woke up early, started a fire, and read my scriptures. Everyone seemed to sleep longer than usual, so it was a nice quiet time - time spent really thinking and being grateful for a Savior whose birth we celebrated today.

Then I went for a run - the first one I've actually done outside. It was windy and cold and much harder than I thought. But, again, it was a good time for some thinking.

We were missing quite a few members of our family, a thought which even now brings tears to my eyes. I really missed watching the kids open their presents, something I think I haven't missed since Brigham was born. I missed my brother and his sweet wife and their two boys, and wished that Jamie and Spencer and their cute kids could have been here. Christmas just didn't feel quite the same without you all. I love you!

Dad made breakfast this morning. He had it started even before mom and Anna were awake. After Dre and Sean came back, we opened presents. Mom and Dad gave us these great books with some family history things and some pictures that I haven't seen in a long time. It was fun to laugh as we talked about old memories.

We all pitched in and got mom and dad a personalized picture of the Salt Lake Temple. Mom cried and dad was glad that it had the date on it so the two of them wouldn't have to try and remember in which year they were married. (Doesn't mom look cute in her pj's?)

Josh and Angela and the girls came in the afternoon. Fortunately the big snowstorm that we were supposed to get held off so that they could come. I can't believe how old the girls are getting and how quickly they are growing up. I love the pictures they gave me and the thoughtful gifts from Angela.

I suppose the last picture needs an explanation. Well, those of you who know Josh, probably don't need one. Dre was showing him how to correctly wear a lava-lava. Who knows when that could come in handy for him?

By the way, if you look closely at the Christmas tree, you'll see that mom took old family photographs and made those ornaments. What a talented mom I have.

No comments: