Saturday, July 5, 2008

One Crazy Week, Part Two - The 4th of July

On the 4th of July, we had a book signing in our store. I wasn't sure how it would go because it was a holiday, but it was stunning how many people came to see this author. The event was scheduled to begin at 2 pm and there were people in line before the store opened at 10 am.

These events are always pretty stressful. Because I was gone for the two days prior to the event, I felt like I was running around like a crazy woman (some of my staff will tell you I do that anyway) trying to make sure everything was ready. However, there was no need to worry. My supervisors were amazing and made sure every detail was attended to.

When the author arrived with his wife, I was so impressed at his kindness. There are several times when authors come and expect people to almost stand in awe. This was a man who easily could have been like that, but was not. He was down to earth, funny, and incredibly humble. It was pleasure meeting both of them.

The rest of the holiday was spent at my sister's apartment. She lives right across from the stadium at BYU and we were able to watch all of the Stadium of Fire. The drive there was ridiculous and my attitude was less than stellar by the time I arrived, as some could tell you. However, the long walk to the apartment calmed me down and it was fun to spend time with family.

The kids were great. Audrey danced to Miley Cyrus for a good hour and then sang the words "Stadium of Fire" repeatedly during the entire firework presentation. Brigham loved playing with Dre's brothers-in law. Any chance he gets to play swords, he takes, especially with older kids. Isaac was his usually crazy self and Haden slept through the entire event.

As you can imagine, it takes quite a while to get out of Provo after things have wrapped up. I waited almost an hour after the fireworks to walk back to my car. Brigham decided to spend the night at my house so the two of us trekked up the hill. He was a trooper and didn't even complain, although he was quite shocked that it took us "forever" to get out of the parking lot.

At the close of three very crazy days, I'm thankful for brief moments when I've been reminded how blessed I am. I took this picture of Brigham this morning as he slept. He's such a good boy. He asked me last summer before they moved to Arizona who was going to take care of me when he was gone. I told him not to worry because Heavenly Father would, and He has.

No comments: