Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day

This morning as I was getting ready for church I was listening as my brother-in-law and my nephews were upstairs preparing breakfast for my sister.  I'll admit that I started feeling a bit sorry for myself.  I was looking in the mirror in the bathroom as tears started to run down my face.  Things felt unfair.  In fact, I probably said that out loud.  This sweet feeling came over me and I almost heard someone say to me, "I have given you this gift to make things not so hard to bare."

I'm embarrassed to admit that it had never occurred to me that the times that my siblings and their families had been with me was a gift from Heavenly Father.  I love having them here and have always felt thankful that I have been a position to help out when necessary, but it means so much more now, knowing that He placed them here for me.

Perhaps I will never bare children in this life and maybe no one will ever call me mother, but I'm so thankful that a loving Father has given me opportunities to fill that void in my life.  It's true that a fullness of joy comes from ones posterity, but I will be forever thankful for the joy I feel when the sweet voice of a niece or nephew calls out to me, runs into my arms, or gives me a hug.

No comments: