Sunday, January 2, 2011

2 o'clock church

For some reason in my stake, our wards meet at 10, 12, and 2 rather than 9,11, and 1. I'll be the first to admit that while 10 is better than 9 and 12 isn't so bad, 2 is not my favorite and that's what we changed to today. I did forget, however, one reason why I like later church - the preparation that takes place Sunday morning.

With church at 2 there is no rushing to get things ready. Finishing touches on a lesson can take place with ample time. There is no speeding through scripture reading and there is plenty of time for thinking about what I've been reading. I can read through the assigned scriptures for gospel doctrine as well as the relief society lesson and feel like I can actually contribute to class. There is time to practice the songs I have to play for choir, which I'm sure everyone is grateful for, and even a little time for any other music I'd like to play through.

While it's true that a lot of these things can take place after church, doing them before helps me to feel better prepared for the Sabbath. So, while I'm sure I will do my share of grumbling about church from 2 to 5, I am thankful for the blessing it was today.

1 comment:

The Mecham Family said...

That is a great way to look at it! We are in the 11oclock time slot and while it's better than 9am, there is still a rush! I'm actually looking forward to 1 next year :)