Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Tis' the Season to be Crabby...

One year for Christmas my sister gave me a book titled "Tis the Season to be Crabby". It was her not so subtle way of telling my that my attitude at Christmas was less than jolly.

This will be the 13th consecutive Christmas I've worked in retail. It tends to take the spirit of Christmas right out of you and every year I resolve that this will be the year that I won't let it happen. But, every year, I can't wait for the season to be over and find myself wanting to sleep Christmas day away.

Here is a short list of things that will make your shopping experience better and my holiday season not so crabby...
  • It is not the store's fault if you choose to procrastinate shopping for your spouse until Christmas Eve and the item she's waited for all year long is no longer in stock.
  • Large pieces of framed art do not look good wrapped - no matter how much wrapping paper you use. Just put a bow on it!
  • If you purchase product at 6 pm on Christmas Eve that has to be sent to your grandchildren in Japan, it won't get there by Christmas morning.
  • Your 4 year old twins will live if they don't get matching solid gold CTR rings because they're not made in a size that small.
  • No amount of yelling, screaming or stomping your feet will get you what you want.
  • Having 14 names imprinted on a single set of scriptures is not a good idea.
  • Long lines are a reality at Christmas. Listen to the nice music, take a deep breath, and remember how much you love the people for whom you are buying gifts.
In the past it seemed like people were spending money they didn't have on people they didn't like, buying gifts they didn't want, all in the name of the spirit of giving. We forget why we celebrate this time of year. This time of year should make us all a little nicer and a little more compassionate. In remembering the Savior, we should resolve to be more like Him. It really should be the most wonderful time of the year - even for those of us who work in retail.

7 comments:

Matthew Hansen said...

All I can say is, SO FREAKING TRUE.

Funny.

Keddington Chronicles said...

LOve this!!!! I am not into that part of Christmas at all, it makes me NUTS!!!!!! Hence, why I am about half done shopping, and would be even more done if I wasn't in school. But because of me being in school, I promise I won't make it anyone else's problem, and come in on Christmas eve to buy size 0 gold CTR rings, wanting to have a picture shipped to Japan, or insist on having a 34x30 print wrapped perfectly (is that a real picture size?). Anyway, happy shopping to all of us, and happy retail working to some as well! :) Love, Angela

Jonesy said...

Bwa ha ha! Love it :)

P.S. You're AMAZING!!

Eric and Kassi said...

i want to know, can what you just said "leave this blog"?

Christy said...

No it can't leave. And if it does your employment could be in jeopardy! :-)

Matthew Hansen said...

When Christy says that something cannot leave this room, she really means that she wants you all to add it to your public blogs. Take it from one of her best friends.

Christy said...

Matt, you're always so helpful. Thanks. :)