Thursday, May 21, 2009

Recovery

Having never had surgery before, I had no idea what to expect from the recovery process. These are some misconceptions I had:
  • Feeling great when leaving the hospital ensures a quick recovery. Just because you felt great when you left the hospital, doesn't mean you will feel great by the time you drive the 4 minutes to your house.
  • 40 pain pills will keep you pain free. Pain medication does not eliminate pain. I don't even really think it dulls it. It just makes you so out of it that you don't really care that you're in pain.
  • A good night's sleep in the hospital is an indication of many good nights ahead. This is certainly not true. Who knew it would be more comfortable to sleep in a hospital bed after surgery than in my own?
  • When you wake up two days after surgery, feeling pretty good, it's okay to go into work. It's amazing how tiring driving in a car can be. Then, walking 15 steps into my office just about wiped me out.
Overall, though, it really hasn't been that bad. I've realized just how much I use my stomach muscles to do things like sweeping the floor or doing the laundry. Coughing and sneezing just about kill me over and sleep has been a challenge, especially at night, but I feel more rested than I have in months. I have such great friends and family members who have brought me meals and treats and beautiful flowers as well as spending some time keeping me company. My sweet mom spent two days she really didn't have with me, making sure I was ok.

I'm pretty lucky!

3 comments:

Matthew Hansen said...

poor lady. I had to laugh at some of your comments, however. get better quick.

Keddington Chronicles said...

Hey Christy, I found some more stuff out. Read my blog post (or your mom may have told you). I'm so glad you have this resolved: what a relief!!!! Love you!

The Mecham Family said...

I'm glad you are doing well! I've never had surgery, but Cole had his gall bladder removed and it's pretty painful to recover...
I had to laugh at your little series of events before surgery...haha